Want to maintain weight, stay healthy, feel good, and enjoy the holidays? Follow these tips for your healthiest holiday season!
1. Get sleep and rest. Have some wind-down time each day. Read, take a bath, watch a light TV show, do some yoga, meditate. Stick with a regular sleep schedule.
2. Stay active. Go to the gym, try skiing, walk, snow shoe, ice skate, or do some indoor youtube workout videos. Caution: don’t use your exercise as an excuse to binge on Christmas cookies or 5 glasses of egg nog. It’s not likely you’ll burn that many calories. But it certainly helps with stress management and keeps you away from food for a bit.
3. Bring a healthy dish to pass at holiday parties. That way, you’ll KNOW there’ll be something healthy there that you can eat. There’s always the classic salad or veggie tray, or you can try one of these ideas.
4. Limit alcohol. Save yourself some calories, embarrassment, and a hangover.
5. Focus on faith, family, and friends, not food. Watch a movie with the fam, craft with friends, play a game, go to church, share stories, go for a walk, play in the snow. Unhealthy food is not required to have a good time!
6. Drink water. This will keep you hydrated, fend off cravings and make you feel more satisfied.
7. Make it a holiday meal, not a holiday month. You might have 10 Christmas parties to attend, but that doesn’t mean you need to go hog-wild at each of them. Strategize your splurges. Maybe you wait all year for Aunt Mary’s Christmas cannoli, but you’re not too keen on office party cookies. Leave the cookies alone and enjoy the cannoli.